lovelylime

Jane Lark
Lost in a Royal Kiss
Vanessa Kelly
Michio Kaku
Gilt - Katherine Longshore I don't know a lot about Catherine Howard. There. I said it. My two favorites of King Henry's wives are always Anne Boleyn and Anne of Cleves, so it's interesting to hear about Catherine Howard for a bit of a change of pace. I also don't usually read young adult historical fiction, but Katherine Longshore has done a wonderful job in historical accuracy (though I was really confused for awhile because she didn't even mention Jane Seymour until at least halfway through the book, and only in passing. I found that a bit strange.) Kitty was frustrating. A total doormat. More so than I would attribute to that day and age. Literally no backbone, no ability to think for herself. She was this way up until pretty much the last chapter. There are little titillation of change, but invariably she slipped back into being beaten down by everyone. At the end she had a bit of a change, but her "transformation" was a bit unsatisfying, as was the climax. I was hoping for a reconciliation with William, which would have been pursuing what she had wanted in the beginning and what she had given up for Cat. It would have just tied everything together nicely but maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic with a penchant for happy endings.Despite the flaws, this is an exceptional YA historical novel. Despite the modern language it displays life in the Tudor Court accurately. Especially the fear. The fear in everyone. The side-eying, the suspicion. All of that was completely authentic. I love Cat. I love her in a way that only a rampaging, selfish regent can inspire love. She and Alice seemed to be the only women in the novel strong enough to go after what they wanted, and of course Cat suffers the consequences. I also love Alice. Everything was done brilliantly with her, especially the end. She was very understated until mid-novel where her importance kind of takes you by surprise and has you going "of course!". All in all, worth the read if you're into the Tudor dynasty.