lovelylime

Vanessa Kelly
Michio Kaku

The Peculiars

The Peculiars - Maureen Doyle McQuerry

Lena is a flawed character physically and otherwise, but unforgettable and intense. She has an internal craving for adventure that her Nana would have disapproved of--would tell her it's bad blood from her father. But she can't help but be pulled into the adventure and romance of Scree--land of Outlaws and rumored Peculiers.

Set in the 1800s, Lena travels on her own to discover what she is, who her father was, and why he had left her. On the way she meets a lovely cast--Jimson Quiggley, whom she meets on the train, traveling to the border town to be a librarian to Mr. Beasley of the mysterious Zephyer House, which at first seems rather sinister. This belief is only lead on by marshal Thomas Saltre, determined to find out exactly what's going on in Zephyer House, and not afraid to use Lena to achieve his ends.I think Mr. Beasley is my favorite character. He's mysterious and hard to understand, you don't know if he's friend or foe but he's so friendly it's hard to believe he'd be anything but good.The writing style is decent, especially for a young adult novel. The best part about the whole novel however, is being swept up in Lena's adventure across the world that McQueery has imagined.